Saturday 14 January 2012

Seven songs with the word love in the title which aren't crap and aren't by The Beatles


Ever fallen in love with someone (you shouldn't  have?) Buzzcocks
First line: you spurn my natural emotions, you make me feel I'm dirt and I'm hurt.
This song summed up exactly how I felt after I phoned up  Lynne Brown to ask her out and she turned me down, probably why I spent the rest of the evening playing this and trying to make myself cry. The next day at school was hard believe me!

Love is a wonderful colour, The icicle works
First line: My friend and I where talking one evening beside some burning wood.
I think they're referring to a bonfire here or maybe they had just torched a beach hut or something. This was 1983 in Liverpool, heavy times! But hey, why would they want to set fire to small wooden seaside buildings? They were ...in love.

Modern love  David Bowie
First line: I know when to go out I know when to stay in get things done
He certainly did, Friday and Saturday night out, natch, Sunday lunch time out, meat raffle in The Horseless Jockey. The rest of the week in, except for Tuesdays, darts and Thursdays, pool if Big Kev couldn't make it because of his sciatica.

Love wil tear us apart Joy Division
First line: When routine bites hard, and ambitions are low, and resentment rides high, but emotions won't grow,
What's all that about? explains why no one liked them at the time. I saw them supporting Buzzcoks in 1979 and there were only two people dancing, they were in the upper sixth at our school and 'on drugs' ... probably.

18 carat love affair The associates
First line: I told you not to meet me here, I can't be seen with you whispering in my ear.
Your'e in The Adulterers Arms in Dundee talking to the lads about transport to the next away game, (Big Davey's got the van for the weekend) when your bird comes in and starts whispering about her new underwear and that, Give it a rest hen!

Everlasting love, The love affair
First line: Hearts gone astray, leaving hurt when they go, I went away just when you needed me so.
Yes, you did go away didn't you pal, three days in Blackpool on Gary's stag do just when your missus wanted a hand updating her CV, well she'll probably fail the interview for the bar job at The White Line thanks to you, you wrong. 'un!

Slave to love Bryan Ferry
Fist line: Tell her I'll be wating, In the usual place, with the tired and weary where there's no escape
The Weathered Spoon at eight then, the big table by the fruit machine. I might get something to eat it's curry club on a Thursday. Mine's a pint of Skol and Awkward Dave will have a Double Diamond shandy,cheers Bry!

No comments:

Post a Comment